More useful AutoHotKey commands!

I figure I'd just share stuff as found myself needing to automate more of my life. This might also give you some behind-the-scenes insight in what I'm doing. Or it might not.

Previous article in this series: AutoHotKey is neat ...

Dates!

I write a lot of notes with dates attached to them. With a simple .date, AHK writes the current date in my local date format in whatever I'm editing, e.g. 30/09/2021:

::.date::
Today := A_Now
FormatTime, Today, %Today%, ShortDate
SendInput %Today%
return

To prepare for future meetings, I use .t for tomorrow, or .2 for the day after tomorrow.

::.t::
Tomorrow := A_Now
Tomorrow += 1, days
FormatTime, Tomorrow, %Tomorrow%, ShortDate
SendInput %Tomorrow%
return

::.2::
DayAfterTomorrow := A_Now
DayAfterTomorrow += 2, days
FormatTime, DayAfterTomorrow, %DayAfterTomorrow%, ShortDate
SendInput %DayAfterTomorrow%
return

Window management!

Windows already comes with great windows management; I use the following built-in actions on a daily basis (and there are many more):

ALT+ESC to move your active window to the back of all other windows (revealing what's underneath).
ALT+SHIFT+ESC to lift the bottom-most window up to the top.

On top of these, I find the FancyZones feature of Microsoft PowerToys immensely useful. On my main (left-most) monitor, I have a grid-setup so that I can align things around my zoom window; on my secondary (right-most) monitor, I have a much simpler-setup so that I can align content that I share on Zoom.

  


On top of all this goodness, however, I wanted a way to minimize / get rid of my current window. I decided that Windows+M (minimize all windows) was a pretty useless action for me, so I repurposed it as such:

#m::WinMinimize, A

That's all for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Auto Mapper and Record Types - will they blend?

Unit testing your Azure functions - part 2: Queues and Blobs

Testing WCF services with user credentials and binary endpoints